Monday, October 10, 2011

Oh yes I CAN-CAN!


Hello people of Bloglandia! I have been drifting out somewhere on the fringes of the Blogosphere, but I have returned! (Actually I have been to the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show by the invitation of Kerry Vincent, giving  demonstrations and teaching classes!)  While I deeply respect those people who blog with such regularity,  alas, I may never be one of them. But I have dusted off the cobwebs here at Special Sugar, brewed a huge cafe con leche, and I'm ready to post something new!

I recently had the opportunity to make a cake for an event benefitting Kate's Club here in Atlanta. Kate's Club is a place for kids who have lost family members. They can hang out and talk to other kids who understand what they are going through. Amazing, right?

The event was a cabaret, in the style of Moulin Rouge. They gave me free range to do what ever I wanted (rubs hands together with devilish expression), so I said "OOOOH, I'm making a big Can Can Dancer!!!!" before they had a chance to suggest restraint and good taste.

Right around the same time, I got a call from a German television show called Galileo, asking if I had any good cakes coming up that they could film me making. "Well...as a matter of fact.." So they flew a small crew in, and they filmed the making of Busty McChesterfield. (of COURSE Joshua came up with that!)

So let me show you what I did...


In building my armature, I had to plan support for the figure, which needed to float out in front of the cake rather than emerging from the center as most of them do.

Next I piled on the cake. I think I ended up using 16 full sheets of yellow cake, soaked with Grand Marnier, with chocolate butter cream.


Once the cake was filled and in place, i carved some folds into it to create the look of bunched fabric. Ordinarily I would have used the fondant to make the folds in the fabric, but this is such a big skirt I wanted the folds to be big and deep enough.



Next came the big sheet of fondant. This part is always challenging. I lucked out on the Sumo Cake, as one try gave me the perfect covering.  However, Ms McChesterfield proved slightly more challenging. We had a few rips in the fondant here and there, but as I always say, if you can't hide it, decorate it!




Now the fun. I would like to take a moment here to point out our fabulous newly renovated workspace! Hallalujer!
Anyhooo....
Even though I have folds in the fabric, I added more to increase the realism. I want her to be holding the edge of her skirt, so I need a bunched up look.



As you can see, the fondant needs some refining. 
Next I forced Joshua to get up under her skirt and make a bajillion ruffles, even though he protested that it made him uncomfortable. Too bad! Get up under that hood and fix that skirt!


He did a bang-up job, btw.
From here on it's all details. (That's where the devil lives).




I do love the details! 




There she goes! Out the door to entertain at the cabaret! Busty, I loved you for the few moments I knew you! (Dancers...they'll break your heart...)




And just for fun, here's the cake I did at the Oklahoma show, assisted by Joshua...


Happy Halloween!!!!!

PS, you can see me this month on Halloween Wars, on Food Network, Sundays at 9 and in repeats here and there during the week. Tune in and see me get all girly gushy over Rob Zombie! (I'm a fan, what can I say...)











27 comments:

  1. you awesome, awesome woman! Joshua's fabulous too btw, ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love your figurine cakes, I'd never seen anything like them until I was whisked away to your site (can't remember how I got here actually). They all have so much personality, they seem like the women you'd want to eat cake with!

    I especially love your can-can girl's hair, how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to say that you're a badass!
    I love everything you've done & the cake at the OSSAS was awesome. I loved watching you & Joshua create something so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,
    I am continually in awww of the talent you do with cakes. You inspire me to think out side the box when it comes to me decorate home cakes for my family. Thanks also for your blogs. It is fun to read. Hats off to Joshua also! I look forward to seeing you and the team in Part 3 Halloween Wars. Cinderella was wicked.
    Your fan always,
    Cheryl/ Oregon
    www.pamperedchef.biz/cherylbrown

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! You are fantastic! I have seen some amazing cakes in my live, but this one is about the best I have seen! Love it! Nona Bannon, Federal Way, Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm rooting for Team Bling Bats all the way! The Sleeping Beauty horror interpretation was AMAZING. If I had infinite money I would hire all of you to dream up amazing creations for my annual Halloween/Birthday bash! You make the most stunning cakes I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Thank you for sharing this! Was the figure itself made of modeling chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I agree, totally awesome! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love love love it! it's breaking boundaries. if you teach, please come to malaysia! it's challenging with our weather tho'. rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous! When are you coming to the UK? We need your cakey goodness here! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! Congratulations for your wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've popped over from natasha's suggestion at neviepiecakes to look at the sculpture and I'm overwhelmed at your genius! Wonderful, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, you are amazing!!!! Thanks so much for the wonderful blog and play by play pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are the best cake designer I've ever seen... I'm enchantend in looking your wonderful cakes!! P.s. sorry for my english :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Busty looks like she's ready to shake the house down! She is a wonderfully expressive cake, You are so very talented Karen, as I'm sure you know. ~(^-^)~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous cakes! We are watching you on Food Network's Halloween Wars. Hope you win/won!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all! How very generous!!
    Yes, the bodies of both cakes are modeling chocolate, covered with fondant.
    If you all want to see some delicate, sweet, amazing gorgeous cakes, go to www.neviepiecakes.com. !
    Xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Espectacular tu bailarina de Can can. Eres una artista.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look delicious! Love your blog,Hundreds of gorgeous chocolate cake recipes

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi
    I have seen your work in our german tv (Galileo).
    From this moment I'm a big fan of your work.
    There are no words who describe, what kind of great job you do. You are a special, amazing artist.
    Lovely greet

    PS: I hope my englisch isn't horrible

    ReplyDelete
  21. Un-friggin-REAL!! You blow my mind!! I just looooove your cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are amazing - but then so is Rob Zombie :) :) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. You´re Amazing!!! Wuaooooooo!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Speechless!!!! GONGRATULATION!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. louis vuitton bags are no matter famous in UK but also lead the market of handbags sale over the world. Louis Vuitton UK is such a classic and luxury brand that suffers the forever pursuit of the nobleman. The designs and colors of the Louis Vuitton purses are suit for people with different age and gender. And the high quality makes Louis Vuitton handbags gain more compliment from its customers.

    ReplyDelete